Skip to main content

Make Google Chrome fast again

TL;DR: Get Native Lazy Tabs or Tiny Suspender (You need to enable "native discard" experimental feature in its options).

Pro Tip: Press Shift-Esc in Chrome to view its task manager. Sort the memory column and you'll get an idea of which tabs or extensions are using the most of it.

When Google Chrome browser first came out, the pitch was a no-frills super fast browser that is very light on memory. This was amazing at the time when competing browsers like Firefox were heavy on RAM, drinking up copious amounts of it, slowing computers down.

But as time went by, browsers like Firefox have leaned down in response, but the memory footprint of Chrome seems to only have been going up, especially if you're a heavy user of web apps. However, Chrome is still a favorite to many including me for its simplicity, clean interface, and maintenance-free upgrades. (In fact, I had briefly switched to Firefox when Chrome killed custom extensions, but shortly after I went back to Chrome and just learned to live with it and find other ways to run my custom scripts.)

Recently though, even with 4GB RAM, I have found myself struggling with a slow Chrome. I found that pinning tabs (though immensely helpful to quickly check mail and other updates) actually kills memory because any open tab that has a page in it is taking memory, and web apps take tons of memory.

I thought about using bookmarks, but I've never been a fan of bookmarking stuff. Managing bookmarks is a chore because it's like managing folders and files, whereas managing tabs is relatively much simpler because it's like managing open programs. Mainly I use bookmarks for the "someday I'll look at this again, but not today" stuff.

I wanted to keep the pinned tabs but I wanted to reduce the memory footprint also. Now, Chrome 54 had introduced a neat feature called Discards where if the memory is running out, oldest tab contents are discarded. It's normally automatic but you can play with it using chrome://discards. You can force discard individual tabs here but it doesn't have much else (there's no "discard all" or any advanced options).

That's when I looked for an extension that can help and I found this nice little extension called Native Lazy Tabs. Install it, and once the button pops up, click on it to discard ALL tabs except the active ones. (An active tab is a tab that's currently visible in a browser window.) This immediately frees up a lot of memory used by tabs that are not currently visible and you can feel the difference. The extension also discards all tabs when you start Chrome, so this significantly speeds up Chrome startup speed as well.

If you use multiple profiles and install the extension in some, you may want to note that you need to start Chrome with a profile that has the extension and launch other profiles later. That way, the extension would work correctly in the other profiles.

If you need more advanced features, there's another extension that is trying out the native discard for memory management (it also includes more traditional approaches): Tiny Suspender (You need to enable "native discard" experimental feature in its options).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disable auto save in JetBrains IDE software (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, PhpStorm)

JetBrains provides the following IDE software: IntelliJ IDEA PhpStorm PyCharm RubyMine WebStorm AppCode CLion Google also provides Android Studio which is powered by the IntelliJ platform. If you come from a different IDE such as Eclipse, you will be unpleasantly surprised to find that JetBrains-branded IDEs automatically save everything the moment you look away. The proponents argue that as you work on your project, you should not have to worry about saving files. But to others, this auto-save behavior which is enabled by default is a curse that catches them by surprise, and a shocking departure from the workflow they are very much used to. You can change the behavior by altering some settings.

Make Samsung DVD-C350 region-free

Update 2: An anonymous commentator has shown me a way to make Region 1 players (such as DVD-H1080R) region-free by first converting it to Region 3, then applying my region-free hack below. For details, click here or look for a comment by an Anonymous user dated 18 April 2011. Update: The instructions in the original post below did not make the DVD player region-free. Instead it only locked it to region 1. Many thanks to Anonymous who posted the first comment on this post, I now have alternate instructions. Note: If you have edited the numbers menu (see original post) , I suggest you return it to the original settings you had backed up. A modified numbers menu may prevent the instructions below from working properly.

Group, Ungroup and Regroup disabled in Word

I was editing a Microsoft Word document which had a collection of shapes and text boxes grouped together. I wanted to modify some of the shapes, and therefore I had to ungroup them. But when I right-click the group and open the Group menu, all three options namely Group, Ungroup and Regroup are completely disabled or grayed out. I couldn’t figure out what’s wrong. This group of objects is perfectly ungroupable, and I can even select objects within the group. However, Microsoft Word 2007 is not letting me ungroup it. I searched the Internet for a solution, but did not find anything very useful. The closest I came across is this statement: “The type of Text Wrapping doesn't make any difference as long as it isn't In Line with Text.” ( Link here ) Anyway, I changed the text wrapping of the group of objects from ‘In line with Text’ to ‘Tight’ and viola! I could now ungroup it and edit it. The document got a bit messed up when I did so, but after I ungrouped, edited and regro