Skip to main content

Samsung S3 LTE Power button jammed

The power button on my phone (GT-I9305) was jammed, and my phone entered a constant state of boot loops. It keeps trying to turn on, but keeps restarting because the phone thinks the power button is held down.

I was able to follow the instructions in the following video, although I used a clear aftershave splash from Gillette instead of 90% pure alcohol cleaning solution. The splash is also alcohol (percentage unknown) and it was the closest alternative within my arm's reach.


It fixed the problem temporarily, and I was determined not to touch the power button. But the next day I pressed the power button out of habit to turn the screen off (oh, don't we all love it when habits work against your willpower). Sure enough, the button jammed again and the phone went in to boot loops.

I was able to shake and hammer the phone on my hand to unstuck the power button again (if that doesn't work, try the above video again; but I was at work and didn't have access to the tools). The problem now turned out to be that I cannot turn the phone on without touching the power button. To do this, I looked up and found a very simple, clean and neat solution here in this video (other solutions involved entering some sort of download mode, installing some empty installation and rebooting etc... too much work and definitely not amateur-friendly!):


In this method, all you needed to do is unplug the charging cable, pull out the battery and put it back in really quickly (before the phone shuts down completely) to shock it into booting up. This worked and I was able to boot up my phone.

Finally, a minor problem is how I can turn off the screen without touching the power button. While I can simply wait for the screen to time out, it didn't seem elegant, especially when I'm in a hurry and can't wait. For this reason, I found an excellent app (over 5 million download and 4.1 rating from 92K users):


I installed the app and it added two icons. In first time set-up you have to allow it to become a device administrator with the permission to control screen locking (nothing else). This allows the app to turn the screen off. Normally you would "launch" one of the two icons to turn the screen off (you can add this app to your home screen as a shortcut). But I also got in to the settings of the app (using the other icon) and turned on the "Enable shortcut in notification area" option. This added a persistent notification in the panel so that I can quickly turn the screen off without going to the home screen.

Now, I just need to kick my habit for good and boost my willpower to avoid touching the power button. At least till I get around to getting a proper repair job done on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Disable auto save in JetBrains IDE software (IntelliJ IDEA, PyCharm, PhpStorm)

JetBrains provides the following IDE software: IntelliJ IDEA PhpStorm PyCharm RubyMine WebStorm AppCode CLion Google also provides Android Studio which is powered by the IntelliJ platform. If you come from a different IDE such as Eclipse, you will be unpleasantly surprised to find that JetBrains-branded IDEs automatically save everything the moment you look away. The proponents argue that as you work on your project, you should not have to worry about saving files. But to others, this auto-save behavior which is enabled by default is a curse that catches them by surprise, and a shocking departure from the workflow they are very much used to. You can change the behavior by altering some settings.

Make Samsung DVD-C350 region-free

Update 2: An anonymous commentator has shown me a way to make Region 1 players (such as DVD-H1080R) region-free by first converting it to Region 3, then applying my region-free hack below. For details, click here or look for a comment by an Anonymous user dated 18 April 2011. Update: The instructions in the original post below did not make the DVD player region-free. Instead it only locked it to region 1. Many thanks to Anonymous who posted the first comment on this post, I now have alternate instructions. Note: If you have edited the numbers menu (see original post) , I suggest you return it to the original settings you had backed up. A modified numbers menu may prevent the instructions below from working properly.

Group, Ungroup and Regroup disabled in Word

I was editing a Microsoft Word document which had a collection of shapes and text boxes grouped together. I wanted to modify some of the shapes, and therefore I had to ungroup them. But when I right-click the group and open the Group menu, all three options namely Group, Ungroup and Regroup are completely disabled or grayed out. I couldn’t figure out what’s wrong. This group of objects is perfectly ungroupable, and I can even select objects within the group. However, Microsoft Word 2007 is not letting me ungroup it. I searched the Internet for a solution, but did not find anything very useful. The closest I came across is this statement: “The type of Text Wrapping doesn't make any difference as long as it isn't In Line with Text.” ( Link here ) Anyway, I changed the text wrapping of the group of objects from ‘In line with Text’ to ‘Tight’ and viola! I could now ungroup it and edit it. The document got a bit messed up when I did so, but after I ungrouped, edited and regro